Gas is one of the most commonly used fuels for heating our homes and cooking – but it can be dangerous if supply pipes or appliances are faulty. Gas leaks can quickly lead Carbon Monoxide poisoning, caused by leaking appliances, is responsible for 20 deaths in the UK every year.

  • Gas inspections

    The law requires us to inspect the safety of the gas supply and appliances of our properties at least once a year. We will also carry out a gas safety inspection when someone moves into a new home. We have our own team of qualified and registered Gas Safe engineers who will visit your home and check your gas pipes, meter, ventilation and any connected appliances such as boilers, water heaters, cookers and fires. Our engineers will disconnect any appliances found to be faulty or dangerous, for your own safety and that of your neighbours.

    We have our own team of qualified and registered Gas Safe engineers who will visit your home and check your gas pipes, meter, ventilation and any connected appliances. Please allow our engineers access to your home to inspect your gas supply every 12 months. It will not take long and might save your life. We will write to you well in advance, offering a date for your annual gas safety inspection and a choice of either a morning or afternoon appointment. If your availability changes after agreeing an appointment, please call us on 0161 448 4200 to book a new date and to save our engineers making a wasted trip. We have the legal power to enter a property if access is repeatedly denied.

    If you buy your own gas appliances, they must be fitted by a Gas Safe Registered contractor who will provide proof of this in the form of a CP12 certificate, which you must hold on to.

    We will service gas appliances you own, apart from your gas cooker, which we will still check is safe for use, but you’ll need to make your own arrangements for it to be serviced. You can find a Gas Safe Registered engineer on the Gas Safe Register.

  • Gas leaks and Carbon Monoxide exposure

    Unlike fuel gas, which has an odour added to make it easy to detect, Carbon Monoxide has no smell but can escape from faulty appliances and cause a serious risk to your health or even death. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include drowsiness, headaches and chest or stomach pains. You are particularly vulnerable when you are asleep.

    If you smell gas or suspect Carbon Monoxide exposure you should:

    • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room and do not sleep in it.
    • Avoid using naked flames or electrical switches.
    • Turn the gas off at the meter (unless it is located in the cellar/basement).
    • Safely leave the premises where possible.
    • Call Cadent (formerly National Grid) immediately on 0800 111 999.
    • Call Southway on 0161 448 4200.
    • Seek urgent medical attention if you are feeling at all unwell.

    Once Cadent’s engineers have visited your property and made certain everything is safe, Southway will arrange for an independent gas auditor to check and recommission your gas appliances. From September 2023 carbon monoxide alarms will be installed in your home any room which contains a fixed combustion appliance, for example a boiler or gas fire, but excluding gas cookers. This will be carried out at the same time as your annual gas safety inspection or other programmed works. If you have any questions about these please speak to one of our engineers when they visit your home. 

    If your heating or hot water isn’t working, or there’s a burst/leak in your system, Please call Southway on 0161 448 4200. We offer out of hours cover for emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year round. A copy of Southway’s Fire Safety Policy is available on our website.