Responsibilities, help, fencing and hedges and about your garden and outside space of your home.


  • Fences & Hedges

    As a general rule, Southway does not take responsibility for providing new replacement boundaries, including fencing, at our properties.

    However, we do appreciate that the fitting of replacement boundaries is very important to you, and we have recently started a new pilot programme where we are installing environmentally friendly natural boundaries such as hedgerows and privets, with a temporary fence in place to support them until they're established.

    If this proves to be successful and we receive positive feedback, it's something that we will look at doing more of in the future. Not only does this support our Zero Carbon strategy and fall in line with targets across the housing sector to find more carbon-friendly solutions, but it also supports our residents’ wishes to reduce their personal carbon footprints following feedback received as part of our Inspired by Our Communities approach.

    We also recognise that some of our tenants may have exceptional circumstances that require some type of boundary to be fitted. Here are a couple of examples of the types of cases that may be considered an exception:

    • Due to the lack of an effective boundary, a local gang of youths is regularly accessing the gardens at the back of a block of properties. This has led to reported incidents of theft and vandalism, and the local police have confirmed that it's an issue.
    • There's a young child at the property with significant learning difficulties, confirmed by the local medical team. The property is located next to an extremely busy road but there's no fence at the front of the property so it could be dangerous.

    Fencing requests

    Using the form below, tenants can apply for a boundary to be fitted at their home due to exceptional circumstances. These will be assessed and prioritised based on your individual needs.

    The form asks for quite a lot of information and gives you the opportunity to include documents to support your request (for example, a letter from the police if your request is related to preventing crime).

    The more information you can give us, the easier it is for us to understand your situation and this will help us to make a decision.

    Please be aware that the demand for new and replacement boundary treatments, including fencing, always greatly exceeds our available budgets, and we cannot provide it to everyone who requests it.

    If you'd like to register a request to be considered for boundary treatment or fencing work due to an exceptional circumstance, please fill in the form below. You will receive a response advising you of our decision within 28 days.

    You'll find more information in our full Fencing Policy here.

    Make a request for fencing

    Please enter your first name.
    Please enter your last name.
    Please enter your email address.
    Please enter your Southway address.
    Please provide as much detail as possible to help us assess your case and provide you with a response as quickly as possible.
    Please include the approximate length of your garden, and the number of panels you require.
    To submit more than one photo at once, please select all of the photos you'd like to upload, at the same time.
    This may include things like medical evidence, a letter from Greater Manchester Police, etc. To submit more than one document at once, please select all of the documents you'd like to upload, at the same time.
    To submit more than one document at once, please select all of the document you'd like to upload, at the same time.


  • About your garden and outside space

    It is your responsibility to manage and maintain your garden. 

    We take a reasonable and fair approach to dealing with untidy gardens and we take necessary enforcement action against tenants who do not maintain their garden.

    We take action when we see:

    • Overgrown vegetation
    • Unauthorised alterations, e.g. car hard standings and removal of hedgerows
    • Inappropriate storage materials, e.g. car parts, furniture, white goods, kept in gardens driveways or ginnels
    • Animal faeces and pet debris left in gardens
  • Do you need help with your garden?

    Some tenants are unable to maintain or work on their gardens themselves

    We offer a subsidised basic gardening service (with a yearly admin fee of £50) to older and disabled tenants.

    You must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Concessionary Gardening Service:

    • 70 or over and you do not have anyone aged 16 or over living in your home, or any family members living within a three mile radius
    • 69 or younger AND you receive standard level PIP payments or Attendance Allowance (or middle or high rate DLA), AND you do not have anyone aged 16 or over living in your home, or family members living within a three mile radius

     You will not be eligible for the service if:

    • You have not signed a Southway tenancy agreement
    • Your rent account is in arrears over £450
    • There is an active ASB complaint against you
    • You have applied for Right to Buy or Right to Acquire with the Trust
    • Your Gas Service or Electrical Pet Test are overdue

     Please read the qualifying criteria carefully and if you feel you are eligible for the Service, fill in this form and return it to us at the office or by emailing a signed copy to, along with the PIP, ESA or Attendance Allowance award letters as proof