Housing Options for Older People

Southway tenants over 50 can access support from our Housing and Care Options Advisor, who can help you by looking at all of your housing needs.

Perhaps your current home is too big for you now that your children have left? Or you live above the ground floor and are struggling to get in and out of your home due to mobility issues?

It is the role of our Housing and Care Options Advisor’s to work with you alongside other agencies to find the best possible solution. If you would like advice and support with your rehousing options please contact us for more information. 

  • Click here to read the Housing Options for Older People (HOOP) Guide


Home adaptations and equipment

For equipment and / or adaptations to remain independent at home, contact Manchester City Council for an assessment.


Age Friendly schemes  

  • Minehead, Withington

    We are now accepting enquiries for our Minehead Development.

    Set to be completed in early 2020, the site will include 33 age-friendly apartments at affordable rent. There will be six one-bed and 27 two-beds, exclusively available to residents over 55. The entire development is Age-Friendly, and will include a range of benefits and services to create an inclusive and supportive community.

    These apartments provide a fantastic opportunity for those looking to downsize, but keen to stay in the local area.

    If you would like to make an enquiry, please contact Jackey via the website or on 0161 448 4200.

    For more information on the apartments, please click here to see our leaflet.

Sheltered schemes 

  • Sheltered Housing and applications

    Southway provides independent living accommodation for older people (aged 55+) at Grove Lane in Didsbury and Holland Court in Chorlton. The housing is specifically tailored for older and/or vulnerable people and is called "sheltered housing"

    We do not deal with applications directly;

    To apply to a sheltered scheme, see Manchester Move's Housing options for older people.

  • Holland Court

    Holland Court consists of twenty units in a residential block, and is open to residents aged 55 and over.

    In 2011 Holland Court transformed the old building and converted the bed units into modern one bedroom apartments. We renovated the lounge, office and other communal facilities, added a new roof to the building along with new windows, balconies and patio doors.

    Within this Scheme we offer activities for older residents to enjoy including Coffee Mornings, Yoga, Armchair Exercises, Hairdressing Sessions as well as talks from Local Groups and Services.

  • Grove Lane
    Grove Lane/South Road consists of twenty six cottage flats with a Community Facility, a Lounge and an Office on site. The Community Centre has become a hive of activity, those who may have previously experienced isolation and loneliness are now thriving with the help of the Scheme. 
    Each Scheme has an on site Manager who manages the building, facilitates activities as well as looks after the wellbeing of the residents by assessing needs, creating support plans, signposting to and liaising with relevant health and social care providers.
    Activities here include Armchair Exercises, Tai Chi, Coffee Mornings, Luncheon Club, Bingo, IT Courses, Music, Gardening, Poetry and a Book Club.