In February, all Southway tenants will have received a letter stating the new rent and service charges (if you pay them) you will need to pay from 1st April 2024. You can find out more about the changes and what they mean for you here.

If you claim Universal Credit, you also need to make sure you report your new rent to the DWP in your online Universal Credit account. You should do this on 1st April or as soon as possible after – but no later than the end of your monthly assessment period (MAP). They will then increase the housing cost of your Universal Credit.

Even if you have your Universal Credit paid directly to Southway, you still need to report the increase.

If you don't report the increase, you may lose out on money you are entitled to. 

It's quick and easy to report your new rent and/or service charges - all you need to do is follow these simple steps:

  1. Sign in to your Universal Credit account at  
  2. Click on ‘To-do list’, then click on ‘Housing’  
  3. When it asks, ‘Did your housing costs change on 1st April 2024?’, select ‘Yes’  
  4. When it asks, ‘Are you still charged weekly for your rent’, select ‘Yes’. Add your new rent charge.  
  5. When it asks, ‘Are you still charged weekly for your service charges?’, select ‘Yes’. Add your new eligible service charges (if you have them). 

We've also put together a handy guide with images to help you report the increase - you'll find it here.

Details of how to report your new rent are also included in the letter you received about your rent increase in February. 

If you're a Southway tenant and need help claiming Universal Credit or other benefits, our Advice Team is here to help. Our Income Officers will look at your personal circumstances and find the best solution for what to claim. Contact us here for support.