Managed migration

What is it and will it affect me?

Managed migration is the name the Government has given to the process of moving people off their existing benefits and onto Universal Credit (UC).

This process began in autumn 2023 and has affected over 300,000 households across the UK so far. The Government is gradually sending out letters (Migration Notices) and, eventually, everyone on existing ‘legacy benefits’ will move to UC.

Those claiming Tax Credits were the first invited to claim UC. If you claim Job seekers or Employment Support Allowance, the DWP will begin sending letters inviting you to claim UC from June onwards.

The six legacy benefits being replaced by UC are:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

What should I do if I receive a Migration Notice Letter?

If you've received a migration notice letter, you'll have three months from receiving it to make a claim to UC before your current benefit ends. This is known as your deadline day.

You must claim UC within the three months to receive the Transitional Protection element in your award of UC. This is to protect you from receiving less benefit.

If you don’t claim UC by your final deadline day, you will not be considered for transitional protection. Your current benefit payments will stop on the day before you claim UC or on your deadline day if you haven’t put your claim in before then.

Once you have claimed, there will be a wait of at least five weeks before you receive your first UC payment.

You can ask for an advance payment from UC, but be aware that this is a loan, and you will have to repay this from your future UC payments.

If you receive Housing Benefit, this will end when you claim UC and you will receive the Housing Element as part of your claim to UC. You will need to re-claim Council Tax Support.

When you receive your letter from the DWP, do not ignore it. Remember to claim UC or your benefits will stop. Please let our Income Team know that you're moving to UC so they can manage your rent account.

If you need any help or advice regarding this process, contact the Advice Team at and we can help you with your claim.