Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC), is the online benefit combining working age benefits and tax credits into a single monthly payment.

We know some tenants are worried about moving on to Universal Credit, but you don't need to be. The process is simple when you have taken the steps to prepare, and we have lots of support available to you to help you get ready and make your claim.

  • Universal Credit: what's different?
    • It is claimed online
    • It is paid in one monthly lump sum
    • Unlike Housing Benefit, Universal Credit does not pay for your rent separately
    • It is paid directly to you; you are responsible for paying your rent out of this money
  • What does it replace?
    • Income-Based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
    • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Income Support
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit
    • Housing Benefit

    Universal Credit does not include help with your Council Tax. You must make a separate claim for Council Tax support here via Manchester City Council.

  • Should I make a claim?

    You won’t need to claim until you are told to. However, it’s good to be prepared. To ensure you’re ready to claim when you need to, make sure you have:

    1. Access to the internet
    2. A Bank Account
    3. Proof of ID & National Insurance
    4. Your tenancy agreement & proof of service charges
    5. Proof of address
    6. Details of your income, savings and/or benefits

    If you need assistance, Southway can help with any of these steps.

  • I’ve been told to claim; where do I start?

    To apply, you’ll need:

    1. your bank, building society or credit union account details (contact Southway Universal Credit Universal Credit officer if you do not have one)
    2. an email address
    3. information about your housing, for example how much rent you pay
    4. details of your income, for example payslips
    5. details of savings and any investments, like shares or a property that you rent out
    6. details of how much you pay for childcare if you’re applying for help with childcare costs

    If you do not provide the right information when you apply it might affect when you get paid or how much you get.

    You also have to verify your identity online

    You’ll need some proof of identity for this, for example:

    1. driving licence
    2. passport
    3. debit or credit card 

    If you cannot verify your identity online

    You can take 3 forms of proof of identity to your first interview at your local Jobcentre Plus:

    permanent residence card
    UK registration or naturalisation certificate
    council tax documents