Responsibilities, help, fencing and hedges and about your garden and outside space of your home.
Our approach and your responsibilities
Generally it is your responsibility to manage and maintain your garden. (See tab below for exceptions, where we can help.)
We take a reasonable and fair approach to dealing with untidy gardens but take necessary enforcement action against tenants who do not maintain their garden.
Such topics that would fall under this section are as follows:
- Unkempt and overgrown vegetation
- Unauthorised alterations, e.g. car hard standings and removal of hedgerows
- Inappropriate storage materials causing nuisance, e.g. car parts, furniture, white goods
- Not cleaning up after pets
Help with your garden - do you qualify?
We recognise some tenants can not carry out garden work themselves for a variety of reasons.
There is a yearly admin fee of £50 (2016)
We offer a subsidised basic gardening service (with current yearly admin fee of £50) to older and disabled tenants.
Tenants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be suffering from long term ill health or disability, and in receipt of the Government benefit Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or middle to high rate DLA.
- The applicant (and all other household members) must be aged 70 years or above.
- If other members of the applicant’s family live within this household are 16 and above, or within a 3 mile radius, they must also meet the above criteria in respect of age or disability.
- If applicant is in rent arrears, there must have been an active repayment plan that has been adhered to for a period of 13 weeks and owe no more than £450.00.
- The property or tenant must not have received a tenancy warning or anti social behaviour warning within the last 12 months.
- The tenant must have an up to date, signed tenancy agreement.
Fences & Hedges
We do not have a legal responsibility to repair your hedges and fences.
What does our policy say?
- Broadly, we do not have a legal responsibility to provide fencing.
- We will not remove hedging to replace with fencing.
- We will not deploy new fencing, or repair existing fencing unless it is fencing that has already been provided by the Trust
- We will look at plants or hedging as options, and not just consider fencing as the only option.
- There are some limited exceptional circumstances where we may decide to repair or renew fencing – but these are the exception and not the norm.
- We will let you know whether or not the work you want can be done, and if so, when it will be done. If it can't be done we will tell you why.
Every year we run a gardening competition with the aim of finding the best gardens in south Manchester. Many different prizes are on offer, including cash.
The six categories you can enter into this year are:
- Best Garden
- Best Eco Friendly Garden
- Best Kitchen Garden
- Best Homeowner’s Garden (private residents)
- Young Gardener of the Year
- Best Garden Structure
Contact us to get involved!